Saturday, June 2, 2012

Modern Day Bafoonery and the Slave Mentality in It's Simplest Form

Wow. I've had so many things to write about, but have gotten side tracked on many occasions which has kept me from doing what I love most.. Write. There has been something that has been eating me up inside and I decided that what other time than now would better to write. So here goes.. I'm pretty sure that we all can say that we've been guilty of at some point or another being sucked into the reality tv phenomenon so to say it isn't and hasn't been entertaining would be a complete and utter lie. But I've found myself more and more becoming disgusted by what's been aired in the past few years. Case and point, BBW also known as Basketball Wives...  Uhm... See I kept hearing about it and all of it's ignorant backstabbing glory,  but decided that I wanted to check it out for myself just to see what that hype was, and to my sadness and great disdain, it became apparent rather quickly that this entire show was nothing more than a bunch of washed up has been's grasping for straws at staying relevant in a society that they no longer fit in, and what other way to satisfy their need and thirst for superficial things than to sale their simple souls to the devil for the sake of saying that they live the good life. Now I'm pretty sure that I'm stepping on many toes by expressing my dislike for this most popular show, however as adults I think that we can all agree to disagree. Now when I decided to watch this show it became apparent very quickly that this show wasn't about friends trying to uplift each other in a time of need, or even about ex-wives trying to move forward after divorce. But more of a modern day case of bafoonery at its simplest form. Now there are so many angles that I could come from when discussing this show, but I will start at the place that is most disturbing for me. I made several attempts to watch this show but became very disgusted as to not ever watch it again. Being a single mother of 3 girls, it seems that shows like these are very degrading and send the wrong message to our girls. In the age of Black Girls Rock, it seems that all of the wrong messages are being taught and while what our girls learn is ultimately up to us, it should be considered that they are also gaining knowledge and information from these sources and outlets as well. I am very disappointed in the HNIC so to speak Ms. Shaunnie O'Neal who seems to be the mastermind behind this group of simple and basic women and also the ring leader. It saddens me greatly that she would even entertain such foolishness and confusion. I now see her in a different light. The ladies that have decided to take part in this show should really feel like she's pimping them, which is really what it's equivalent to. Week after they come together to back stab, finger point and humiliate each other for a free trip or a some nice piece of merchandise.  Instead of utilizing the resources that have been afforded to them by whatever avenue that was taken to get it in a positive manner, it seems that the entire show is based around lunches, dinners and other useless time wasted on talking about each other and taking trips to far away lands to talk about each other and backstab just a little. While some of these women I'm sure were married to some professional basketball player at some point and time, it has also become apparent to me that some of these women haven't ever been married to, but merely dated some basketball star.  So here's my question, why are they called basketball wives. None of them are have or never have been for that matter. I could go on and on, but it's very sad that while all of these women seem to have some access to resources to be productive and do things in society that some of us only dream about, but instead of taking that route, they would rather argue, fight, call each other names, belittle, berate and humiliate just for the sake of staying relevant or even to maintain a place in society...  While I could go on and on to talk about how sad this makes women look, especially black women, but for now I just hope that at some point these ladies would come to understand and know that their worth is so much more than purses, trips and parties. But until that time.. Lights, Camera, Action.....

No comments:

Post a Comment